January 10, 2009

Color of Cats

"Color of Cats" is the Aymara translation for Lake Titicaca. It is the largest lake in South America by water volume, and the highest navigable lake on earth at 12,500 feet above sea level! Just a few hours bus ride from La Paz it is a popular tourist destination. This picture was taken by Taylor Bullock, one of my mission companions.

Copacabana is a small town located on the Bolivian side of the lake (the lake is shared with Peru to the northwest). On the top of this hill which overlooks both the town and the lake there is a shrine to the Virgin Mary. 95% of Bolivians are Catholic. Annually, thousands of pilgrims make the trek to this site to worship.

The wind off the lake can get quite strong due to its extreme altitude and its location between the massive peaks of the Andes.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog. Some day you'll have to show me around up there.

Anonymous said...

More like smelling cat.

Anonymous said...

Nice picture! I wish I could get back there someday.

Nicole said...

Taylor Bullock is my husband!