December 4, 2008

High on a Mountain Pass

On Christmas day 10 years ago I went up to the high mountain pass that heads up out of La Paz, cuts through the Andes, and heads down to the jungle. We hiked up a ways from the road and found this wild horse. Probably not the smartest thing to take a picture next to. I estimated we were at about 16,ooo feet elevation. The highest point I've ever been. Christmas time is in the summer in South America and I would guess temperatures were in the 40's on that day.



This is a picture of a typical street in the city of El Alto, located in the high plains above La Paz. It is a very desolate and melancholy town. Most people there commute down to La Paz to work. The mountain in the distance is 20,000 foot Huayna Potosi.

1 comment:

Jennifer Rose said...

Johnny, I hate to say it, but you look so weak and kind of sickly. Maybe you weren't feeling too great that day? Or maybe I just never really saw pictures of you your mission. I mean I know you lost weight while you were out there, but wow.